Getting rid of ants and keeping them out is a difficult thing to do. As a pest control service in Kuna, Idaho, we know all about how obnoxious these little pests can be in your home. These tiny insects not only multiply fast, they also spread bacteria, disease, and cause structural damage to the home.
No homeowner in Kuna should have to worry about pests, especially ants. And yet, it makes sense why you worry! Ant colonies can number in hundreds of thousands or millions. From your home to your yard, ants everywhere.
Getting rid of these stubborn pests can be quite the chore, and should always be handled by professionals .
Get Rid of Ants in Kuna
Before we begin, we’d like to advise you that even if your house is free from ants, you should still take the necessary steps to ensure you keep these pests away from your living space.
That being said, here are some ways to get rid of ants in your Kuna, ID home or business location.
Identifying the Problem
As a professional pest control company, we cannot insist enough on the fact how important it is to do an initial inspection and identify the actual problem. Going all in with insect killers or repellents will never address the underlying problem.
When dealing with ants, your first step should be to find if you have an infestation, and if you do, then identify the severity of it.
Look Out for Signs of Ant Problem
One of the most obvious signs of ant infestation is if you see any ants swarming around exposed food or a walking trail from somewhere in your kitchen, basement or any other room of your house. If it is just one or two ants, it isn’t a sign of infestation as they are just searching for a source of food. Once you ensure there are no ants in your indoors, next you should head towards your backyard.
Start by looking out for ant colonies (a huge number of ants crawling around a single spot). If you spot a colony, then there is a high risk of infestation. Don’t mistake these tiny creatures if they are in your backyard, thinking they will not invade your indoor space.
Ants are pretty smart and they can detect source of food and water from an incredibly long distance. They also leave a scent trail for their other fellow to follow them.
Identifying Their Species
While there are over 700 different species of ants in United States, only a few of them are found in Kuna, ID. After knowing all signs of ant problem in your house, your next step is to identify their type. Here are some of the most common types of ants that invade the houses of Kuna:
- Odorous House Ants: Ever crushed an ant and felt the smell of rotten coconuts? Yes! These are the odorous ants. They are brown and black in color and can grow from one-sixteenth to one-eighth of an inch. These ants contaminate your food, feed on sweet items, love moisture and they move their colonies every three months of rain
- Pavement Ants: These ants are found in the form of a steady line trialing in and out of a crack along the sidewalk or the pavement in your backyard. These are also black or brown in color and they can be as big as eighth of an inch. These ants will feed on almost everything they can find and they forage in trails as far as 30-feet away from their colony. Pavement ants pose a high risk of food contamination
- Carpenter Ants: As the name tells, these ants dig into the walls and wooden structures within your house to build their nest and populate their colony. There is just one queen and thousands of other worker ants. They are found both outdoors and indoors and prefer wood that is et or damaged by mold. Carpenter ants can cause serious structural damage, food contamination and they can even bite human beings
- Fire Ants: While these ants usually nest outdoors, the fact that they can give you extremely painful bites and even cause aphid infection should be enough to get rid of them immediately. They feed on honeydew and some of their species even prefer meat.
Getting Rid of Ants
Finally, we have made it to the last stage. It is time that you get rid of these ants once and for all. There are three main ways to do this:
- Using an ant killer chemical (commercial use)
- Using natural ant killer
- Calling a professional
When using chemicals to kill ants, you have the liquid baits, spray, gels and granules. Liquid chemicals are used to get rid of ants inside the home and outdoors. You can easily find it on the market. This liquid is sweet and ants are attracted to it. Once they feed on it, it slowly kills them.
If using sprays, look for the best ones available on the market. Sprays are also fast and effective and they not only help in killing ants but also repelling any future ones. Coat your indoor and outdoor spaces with spray where you suspect ant infestation.
In case you are using gels, apply it in cracks and crevices where you commonly see ants, where as granules are only used to treat outdoor ants. You’ll typically need 2-3 pounds of granules per 1000 square feet.
Natural ant killers mostly include DIY remedies like borax powder or coriander powder. Though they work but it is not as effective as using chemical based solutions.
Lastly, the best way to get rid of ants from your house or business is to call a professional pest control company for help. At Averse Pest Control, we provide reliable ant control and extermination services at a very affordable price. Contact us today and schedule you free of cost home-pest inspection with us.